Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Mixed reaction on meals from Monday

I've said before that I am a big food fan.  I love sports but one of the things I secretly love that's sort of in the dark is food.  Whether it's at home in the kitchen or out to eat, I also can be an enormous food critic - and I feel I am qualified to do so since I live in a family of food critics.

That being said, two of the meals I had Monday had mixed reactions from me.  I always like to end with good news, so I'll start with the not so good - Kingwood Bagel, locally where I live.

To say that this place was much better years ago than it is now would be a gross understatement.  It may be breakfast centric but to me Deerwood Country Club blows this place away and it isn't even close.  First of all, did that place have any air conditioning inside of it.  When I went in there after church Monday morning it felt like a sauna in there.  It's a good thing we weren't there very long.

Secondly, the service was very, very slow.  When it came time to order at the counter, the person at the counter waited a minute or two to even pay us the time of day which, in my view, is not how it should be done.  The only excuse I can think of was that she was busy at the time, whoever this person was which could be a valid excuse but there was no one in front of us.

And finally, the food - wow, talk about hit or miss.  My egg on a bagel sandwich was OK, but Mom's didn't turn out so well.  My question is, how can you be so hit or miss as far as making an egg on a bagel sandwich?

Now for the good stuff - which is what I like to deliver last, to close with a positive message.  Dinner Monday night - and last night for that matter, yum yum.

Monday night was a sloppy joe casserole which was good enough - not a lot better than a sloppy joe casserole.  But what made it was the seeded bun that was mixed in that made it just delicious.  I will say I think it might have been even more interesting to have some mozzarella cheese put on the casserole.

And then last night - oh wow, salmon with some great potatoes mixed in.  I will say this - I should remember not to put too much lemon on my salmon.  I got enough lemon on it that I might have made the fish a little bit tart.

One thing I want to reiterate from earlier in this piece - the best place in my opinion for breakfast in this town is Deerwood Country Club.  We did that for Father's Day and I was very impressed.  They mainly do breakfast but it's good to see places who know what they are good at.

No comments:

Post a Comment